- Large windows and skylights to maximize natural light.
- A 30 Kw photovoltaic system to convert solar energy to electricity. The solar system is expected to produce more than 53 million Watt-hours of electricity per year, our electric meter often runs backwards as we furnish power back to the grid!
- Water conservation through state-of-the-art fixtures, water-efficient landscaping and a cistern that collects rainwater that is used to flush toilets.
- Good indoor air quality protects student health. CO2 sensors adjust natural ventilation as needed.
- A focus on acoustics, classrooms are built to eliminate or greatly reduce mechanical and outside noise, and improve communication.
We are deeply proud of the advances our students make every day. Sitting in carefully designed classrooms, our students become capable, confident learners. We know that their surroundings support their success, and so we are also proud of our award-winning program and green campus. Major awards to date include:
Top 10 Buildings in the World Award, 2009 – American Institute of Architects
Livable Buildings Award, 2009 – Center for the Built Environment at UC Berkeley
Certified Green Business, 2008 – Monterey County Green Business Program
Green Superhero Award (to Douglas Atkins), 2008 – United States Green Building Council of Northern California
LEED Platinum (highest level), 2007 – United States Green Building Council
Governor’s Environmental & Economic Leadership Award, 2007 – California EPA
Best Overall Award, 2007 – Flex Your Power
Energy and Sustainability Honor Award (highest level), 2007 – American Institute of Architects, San Francisco Chapter
Innovation Award for Construction Techniques and Materials, 2007 – California Association of General Contractors
Award for Energy Efficiency, 2007 – U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Western Region
CHPS Certification (highest score to date), 2006 – California High Performance Schools
Business of the Year Award, 2006 – Monterey Peninsula Chamber of Commerce